One of the biggest noise complaints is the sound of footsteps and squeaky floors. The squeaking that’s driving you crazy occurs naturally when floors settle, and joists rub together with subflooring. There’s an easy solution: Joist Gasket Tape. The tape creates an airtight seal and dampens foot traffic, so that annoying squeaking becomes a thing of the past.
About Joist Gasketing Tape:
Our Gasket Tape installs on walls, ceilings and floor joists to enhance overall sound isolation. Floor squeaks develop when floor boards rub against floor joists, the tape installed on the joists will insure that these squeaks never develop in the first place. It is also a formulated gasket that provides a uniform layer between the framing members and surface materials to reduce impact sound transmission through floors and walls and to reduce floor vibration.
How it Works:
Gasket Tape is composed of a closed-cell PVC material with a strong adhesive on the bottom and a smooth, durable Mylar Top. Gasket Tape offers the latest technology in construction to increase IIC Value and reduce vibrations and squeaks.
Reduce Vibrations: The low density of the Gasket Tape effectively reduces impact transmissions and helps isolate vibration through floors and walls. Even when the cavity between the floor and ceiling is insulated, one of the transmission spots is over the floor joist. Applying Gasket Tape will sever the direct path between the floor and the ceiling. This increases IIC value and provides a quieter, more comfortable environment.
Control Thermal Conductivity: Ghosting lines, or tracking on the interior walls of your home, are unsightly and, more importantly, point to a temperature difference in your wall that can be costing you money. Small particles — from cooking, heating systems, candles and everyday living — float around in our air. At higher temperatures they tend to stay more in motion. But when the particles encounter a colder surface, say, where a 2x4 stud is behind your gypsum drywall, the particles tend to stick and collect. This, over time, leads to lines and unsightly stains on your wall at the studs and ceiling joists. The low thermal conductivity of our Gasket Tape ensures that heat and AC are not lost through the studs, resolving this problem and providing for greater energy efficiency.
- Sound deadening gasket – not a glue or bonding tape
- No “open time” limit or cure time like liquid adhesives
- Adhesive on one side and durable film on the other
- Adhesive bonds to wood or steel
- Standard 1/8” thickness — foam tape will not squeeze out of joint
- Can be pre-applied directly to joists or studs
- Pre-cut widths fit any joist or stud
- Supplied in 100 foot rolls
- Durable – wear-resistant, low-friction layer on top
- Closed cell foam does not mold or mildew
- Over 15 years of proven history in the field
- Available in 1-7/16”, 2-1/4” and 3” Widths. Select link to the width appropriate for your floor joists.
- Between joists and subfloor sheathing
- Works with engineered wood, dimensional lumber and steel joist
- Between sill plate and foundation
- On wall studs for sound control
- Under floor track and above header track for sound control
- On exterior studs for thermal and acoustical control
- Provides an effective barrier to squeaks between subfloors and joists
- Virtually eliminates costly call backs from squeaky subfloors
- Creates a quieter, more comfortable home
- Greatly reduces impact sound transmission (IIC) from upper rooms
- Saves time and labor — can be easily and safely pre-applied on the ground, all at one time
- Pre-cut width means no waste
- Works with wood or steel joist and stud construction
- Ideal for areas where condensation may occur, without supporting mold or mildew growth
- Designed for the life of the building
Custom Widths: For larger orders, we can manufacture the Gasket Tape in any width up to 55". Please contact our office at 845-388-1200 for more information.
To Read more about soundproofing walls and floors see our How To Soundproof article.