The Electric and Light Switch seal is a pre formed acoustical and air seal for outlet boxes made of specially-molded fire resistant neoprene in similar size and configuration as a cover plate for a recessed electrical device. It is a gasket that fills the gaps between the cover plate (not included) and the wall surface and between the electrical device and the cover plate. It is held tightly against the wall surface by the cover plate. This seal is a great air seal for air leaks in outlets and recepticles.
Why a Electric Box Seal?
Partitions are tested for sound isolation under ideal laboratory conditions and are given a rating for the amount of sound they stop from passing through called the Sound Transmission Classification (STC). Recessed outlets are essentially holes in the wall that let sound through from one side to the other. A pair of outlets on both sides of a partition has a value of only STC-19 so they stop much less sound than the wall. Depending on the size and number of outlets in the wall, overall performance of the sound isolation separation is severely compromised.
Increasing the STC performance of the partition does nothing to improve the sound isolation overall since the sound still comes through the recessed outlets. Consider a pail of water with holes in it – increasing the thickness of the shell does nothing to keep water from pouring through the holes.
The outlets need to be sealed to obtain the performance level of the partition. Lab tests, field tests and theoretical calculations all show that the Box Seal™ improves the value for the outlet from STC-19 to STC-26, an increase that translates to significant improvement in the overall sound isolation performance of the separation. Full recovery of the partition STC value is usually achieved, given a reasonable number of outlets and normal sound absorption values in the receiving room.
This seal is particularly recommended for any partition of STC 45 or higher to maintain the best overall performance of the acoustical separation.
Benefits of Electric Box Seal
- Matches or exceeds the performance of any acoustical sealant currently on the market as proven by independent tests.
- Seals around the device as well as the outlet box where sealants only treat the perimeter of the box.
- No waste, no tossing-out of half-used tubes of sealant.
- Easier and quicker to install than sealants, with no preparation of surfaces, mess or cleanup required and significantly lower labor cost.
- Almost limitless shelf life compared to sealants, with no temperature limitations for storage or installation.
- No hazardous products compared to sealants, some of which irritate the respiratory tract, eyes or skin. The Box Seal™ does not contain polybutene, petroleum distillates, or airborne carcinogens.
- Outperforms simple fiber or foam gaskets currently on the market for sound isolation.
- Easily removed and reinstalled with the cover plate, offering access to wiring.
- Used not only in new construction, but also as a retrofit sound control improvement for electrical outlet boxes currently in use.
- For more information, make sure to read Why the BoxSeal is Necessary for Sound Control and Why the BoxSeal is Necessary for Fire Resistance.
This seal should be used wherever acoustical privacy and noise control are valued. It is ideal for retrofit as well as new construction.
- Private offices
- Conference rooms
- Personnel offices
- Patient rooms
- Hotel rooms & bathrooms
- Tenant demising partitions
- Consultation rooms
- Medical exam rooms
- Teleconference rooms
- Band rooms
- Fabrication areas
- Mechanical equipment rooms
Available Designs, See Data Sheet:
- Duplex Pair*
- Toggle Switch-Single
- Toggle Pair
- Decora-Single (Rocker, GFCI, Motion Detector)
- Decora Pair (Rocker, GFCI, Motion Detector)
- Data / Phone Terminal Single
- Data / Phone Terminal Pair
- Duplex / Toggle*
- Duplex / Decora*
- Blank Single (For Juntion Boxes, etc.)**
- Blank Double (For Junction Boxes, etc.)**
- Custom Designs Available
All Seals fit NEMA devices and wall plates made by Cooper, Hubbell, Leviton, Lutron, Mulberry Metal, Pass & Seymour/Legrand EXCEPT Cooper wall plates for duplex receptacles.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Seals marked by * are NOT compatible with Cooper Wall Plates. They will fit all other standardized NEMA devices. For Cooper Duplex Receptacles an alternate design can be purchased through our office. A minimum purchase will be required.
**Note, Screw holes not included in Blank Designs. Holes can be easily punched with screw or standard hole puncher.
Note, Cover Plate not included.
- Standard Color Beige; Custom Colors Available through our office
- Nominal Thickness: 1/16 inch
- Shelf Life: 100 years or more.
- Storage: Unaffected by heat, cold, humidity or other typical environmental conditions.
- Limitations: None
- Surface Burning (ASTM E84): Class A
- Sound Transmission (ASTM E90): Increases STC of recessed outlets from STC-19 to STC-26.
- Safe Handling Information: No special precautions required
Note, Available in beige and standard sizes through our website. For additional sizes and colors, contact us at 845-388-1200.